Boy Scout Meritbadge Requirements
- Explain to your counselor the precautions that must be followed for the safe use and operation of a sculptor's tools, equipment, and other materials
- Do the following:
- Model in clay a life-sized human head. Then sculpt in modeling clay (such as Plastine or Sculpey) or carve/rasp in wood or soft stone a small-scale model of an animal or person. Explain to your counselor the method and tools you used to sculpt the figure.
- Make a plaster mold of a fruit or vegetable. In this mold make a copy of the fruit or vegetable. Explain to your counselor the method and tools you used to make the copy.
- With your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, visit a museum, art exhibit, art gallery, artists' co-op, or artist's studio. After your visit, share with your counselor what you have learned. Discuss the importance of visual arts and how it strengthens social tolerance and helps stimulate cultural, intellectual, and personal development.
- Find out about career opportunities in sculpture. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Source: 2008 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)
Additional helpful links/Comments
The following has nothing to do with Official BSA anything, It's simply my "The webmaster's" opinion.
2c: "how it strengthens social tolerance and helps stimulate cultural, intellectual, and personal development." Are you kidding ? Another merit badge corrupted by the politically correct. Visiting an "art" exhibit doesn't have anything to do with social tolerance, et al. You won't get this counselor's approval. Should we have a "2d", ----- With your parents permission, write your congressman and demand that these "struggling" artist's get subsidized by taxpayer dollars, because it "strengthens social tolerance", what an investment it would be! It would solve all our problems!
How about learning Sculpture as was intended? Period. If you have to put this crap in, add it to the Citizenship in the UN Merit Badge, at least it almost fits there.