Cold Weather Camping Checklist
Printable Version (PDF 52KB)
This list assumes a single night of camping. For a second night, add additional clothing as required.
- The key to keeping warm is to follow the C. (Clean) O. (Overheat) L. (Layering) D. (Dry) guidelines and to drink plenty of fluids. If your clothes are clean and dry, they will breathe better and you'll stay warmer. If you overheat, your clothes will be wet and you will easily chill.
- Layering your clothes will keep your clean, warm and dry and will prevent overheating. If you start to feel warm, simply remove a layer of clothing. If you start to feel cold, add another layer of clothing.
- An example of proper layering starting from the layer closest to your skin on the upper half of your body would be thermal top, t-shirt, shirt, sweater and jacket. For your head, a scarf and a ski hat.
- For the lower half of your body start with thermals, underwear, pants and water and/or wind resistant pants.
- For your feet, thin, breathable socks, wool socks, boot and pac/snow boots.
|Item Description||Item Description|
|Tent (Scout Supplied)||Snow or Pac shoes (as required)|
|Zero Degree Sleeping Bag||Troop Hat|
|Sleeping Pad (not inflatable vinyl)||Ski Mask|
|Pillow (recommended)||Gloves or Mittens|
|Flashlight and Extra Batteries||Scarf (recommended)|
|Water Bottle or Canteen||Towels (drying and wash cloth)|
|One Gallon of Water (as required)||Soap|
|Compass||Toothbrush and Toothpaste|
|Pocket Knife or Multi-Purpose Knife||Deodorant|
|Whistle||Comb or Brush|
|Mess Kit (plate, bowl, cup, fork, knife and spoon)||First Aid Kit|
|Cold Weather Jacket with hood||Medicines (as required)|
|Waterproof Rain Gear||Insect Repellent|
|Thermals||Sun Screen Lotion|
|Sweater or Sweatshirt||Hand / Foot Warmers|
|Two pair of pants (one is extra)||Tote'n'Chip Card|
|One pair of water resistant pants||Fire'm'Chit Card|
|Activity Shirt (Class "B")||Sunglasses (optional)|
|Three shirts (one is extra)||Day or Fanny Pack (as required)|
|Three pairs of underwear (one is extra)||Camera (optional)|
|Three pairs of socks (one is extra)||Watch (optional)|
|Hiking Boots||Folding Chair (optional)|
|Tennis or other closed-toe shoe||Scout Handbook (required)|
|Notebook and Pen and/or Pencil (as required)||Merit Badge Books / Cards (as required)|