Merit Badge Policies and Procedures
Becoming a Merit Badge Councilor
- Fill out an Boy Scout Adult Application Form
- Submit to Occoneechee Council
- Once Form 28-501B has been approved and you have a Scout Identification Number…
- Submit a Boy Scout Merit Badge Councilor Application form 34405 (Both forms can be submitted at the same time).
- Once you receive your Merit Badge Council Identification card, present the Identification number to the Troop 780 Advancement Chairman, along with your qualifications as a councilor (Some Merit Badges require certification)
Troop 780 Merit Badge Process
Boy Scout Merit Badge Blue Card
- A Merit Badge (MB) application submitted to Advancement/Award Chairman
- The Scout then gets the Scout Master’s Approval by getting the Blue Card signed by the scoutmaster.
- A Merit Badge Counselor (MBC) is assigned by Advancement/Award Chairman or Scout Master and then the scout is given the signed Blue card.
- All merit badges must be completed on the troops Merit Badge Worksheets
- The MBC and Scout have a conference about the MB.
- This Troop 780 Merit Badge Process is explained to the scout requesting the blue card.
- They discuss in detail what is required and expected for each and every requirement.
- The MBC explains which part can be done at home and what is required for proof of completion.
The MBC explains which parts has to be presented in front of troop.
- The MBC explains which parts need to be done in front of the MBC.
- This is all done so everything is understood before going in to each endeavor.
- At this time it is explained which of the requirements must be recorded on the MB worksheet.
- The MBC and Scout (Initiated and requested by the scout unless the MBC deems otherwise) will have weekly, bi-weekly or monthly status reports.
- This time period really depends on the complexity and length of MB in question and is set during the MBC conference) to track scouts progress and further clarify the requirements if needed.
- The MBC will initial on the worksheet each requirement that has been satisfactorily completed.
- The MBC will contact the Advancement Chairman and an entry into tracking software (A Troop 780 requirement) and on the blue card (BSA required) after each successful requirement is completed.
- Upon full completion of the MB Worksheet, a full review of the MB to the MBC to confirm compliance with the requirements.
- Signature of MBC on blue card.
- Signature of Scout Master on blue card.
- Blue Card divided into three parts, Troop Record, Applicants Record and Counselors record.
- Scout receives the badge he has earned.
- Scout receives the applicants' record from the blue card.
- Scout is officially recognized (Presented MB Card) at the Court of Honor in front of peers, parents and leaders
- MB Worksheets can be typed or hand written as long as they are legible.
- The work MUST be the Scouts work; parents should help but let the scout earn it.
- It's not the badge that's important, but what is learned by completing the requirements.
- One or two word answers on the worksheet are not acceptable.
- The scout should clearly state what he means without the need for interpretation.
- Please feel free to attach ANYTHING to the worksheet, such as pictures, videos, documents from other parties etc.
- Feel free to ask any questions.